Tuesday, June 7, 2011

35 years later...

Maybe its because I'm bored, or maybe its because I'm bored, but something about this blender is all wrong!
Trust me, this isn't the first time I have realized this. I was about 13 when I first began to question this blenders existence in my cupboard. As a typical teenager, I began falling in love with labels and the colour black at an early age. So it was only a natural occurrence of events that after coming home from my bestie's house and after using their state-of-the-art (black!) blender, that I began to hate my own even more. It boggled my mind that it wasn't a crime to still have this 70's puke-coloured appliance in use, while living in this new "everything good is stainless-steal" world or ours. I bugged my mom so much about this, as I knew my dad wouldn't understand a young girls desire to fit in while wanting to make smooties with her friends. Nope, my mom's response was we didn't use the blender that much to replace it with a new one. Well, maybe we would use it more if we had a blender that didn't smell like an electrical fire was about to burn down our kitchen every time we used it! Or maybe I would use it if it's 30 year-old seal would hold in the liquids I was trying to blend! But those facts were minor in the scheme of things. 
And by the time I moved out for college, blenders were on the market for about $30, so I never realized why we couldn't just replace it. Its not a bank-breaking spend by any means! It also never occurred to me that if I hated it so much I should just go buy one myself, but after years of arguing about it, I had given up hope. In fact this blender showed less and less signs of leaving the house, that I began to think, it may be buried with me when I die. I gave up. You wanted to make a smootie or pudding or a milkshake in my house-- no deal, you take that wishful thinking somewhere else my friend! It even came to the point where my friends would know how brutal and useless and potentially fire hazardous my blender was, that they began bringing their own drink making contraptions that I had only ever dreamed about, over to my house. It was bad. 
Until last week...
Out in Wal-mart with my mom, I nearly had a heart-attack right there in the store. She walked over to the blenders on the shelf (I thought to myself, this should be good!) that was when she said, "I think it's time we got a new one, what do you think?" HA! I was dumbfounded. I wanted to state my 8-year case as to my feelings and hatred towards the blender at home, but instead I said, "Good idea mom!". And there in the middle of the aisle, we loaded a new, BLACK, state-of-the-art blender into the cart. The price-tag? A whopping $29.99 ! 
But the minute my dad spots the new blender? "What do we need that for, the old one works just fine!" HA. It was then that both my parents confessed to never actually buying the now "old" blender, and that they received it as a wedding gift, nearly 36 YEARS AGO! My god!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment